Problems Identified During the Show
While at first glance, it seems that Amy and Samy have their act together, the problems soon surface. Here are the problems the show identified.
1) Slow Service - The service is very slow as the server Miranda Winant is not allowed to handle payments and use the Point-of -Sale (POS) System. Samy is the only one who is allowed to handle payments and use the POS System which slows down the process. To add to this, Amy personally did all the tickets so it was done one at a time.
2) High Employee Turnover - The restaurant has a high turnover rate and employees don't seem to stick around for long. The show even interviewed two employees that lasted for only a couple of months. During filming the show, server Katy Cipriano was fired by Amy for simply asking a question. Amy and Samy simply do not treat their employees properly.
3) Lack of Delegation.- The owners are too hands on for their own good and do not delegate properly. As the floor manager, Samy does not let Miranda use the POS System and take payments. Amy also does not let her assistant cooks prepare the dishes without her supervision.
4) Greed - Owners of restaurants are very greedy. Samy steals the tip money and does not give it to the servers.Before Gordon's visit, there was a guy who waited an hour for his pizza. He repeatedly followed up on this and never got his pizza. Samy told him that if he cannot wait, he should leave and he still wanted the customer to pay for the mere fact he ordered the pizza.
5) Disrespect for the Customer - In the show's preview for the episode, Samy berates a guy who follows up with him for a pizza and cusses at him instead of apologizing and giving the customer compensation. Another instance is when an under-cooked pizza returns, Amy blames the customer instead of just owning the error and just reheating the pizza. Also Samy verbally abuses an elderly woman was did not like their food and told her not to come back.
6) Close Mindedness - Throughout the show, both Amy and Samy fought tooth and nail with Gordon Ramsay on any comments or suggestions he had.They were always very defensive and had all sorts of excuses. In the end, they wee so stubborn that Gordon gave up on them.
7) Low Quality Food - To be fair, Amy does serve good cakes. Unfortunately, the same does not extend to the other menu items. The pizza's aren't that good and are at times under-cooked. The ravioli is store bought and is not spectacular at all and had a weird combination of ingredients.
8) Low Morale - As clearly seen in the episode, there is a high employee turnover and the current staff are not happy with their working conditions. Samy and Amy do not act professionally towards their employees and would berate them even in front of guests.
9) Both Owners are Confrontational - Both Amy and Samy are confrontational. Once they hear something from you they will immediately confront you. While Amy will just shout and berate you, Samy is not afraid to be physical. He even hits a friend of a complaining customer.
10) Both Owners Cannot Accept Criticism - While it is true you cannot please everyone, still everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Restaurant owners must accept customer feedback as its a good tool to help them improve - not Amy and Samy. They view criticism as an attack and will immediately retaliate. They even confronted Chef Gordon Ramsay multiple times ones he gave them some form of criticism.